Imagine a hospital where excellence is the goal for everyone. We did. We are. We go above and beyond to provide the best and safest patient care, from the boardroom to the bedside. We prioritize our patients at North York General Hospital (NYGH) in everything we do. As one of Canada’s leading community academic hospitals, we are setting a new standard for integrated patient-centered care and strengthening our academic foundation through enhanced education, research, and innovation. North York General Hospital is a part of North York Toronto Health Partners, a first-generation Ontario Health Team that works together with patients, primary care providers, and community partners to develop a locally integrated health system that will serve the community. You can stand out and be amazing as a member of our dynamic team, too! Our group is making a world of difference at North York General.
Summary of Position:
Registered Nurse, Occupational Health Your objective in this position is to work as part of a multidisciplinary team to promote workplace health, safety, and wellness for all North York General Hospital employees. You are an excellent relationship builder who cultivates close relationships with colleagues from across the organization. You have excellent interpersonal skills and are easy to get along with staff members and doctors. The following are your main responsibilities: health and illness absence management, adverse event management, disease surveillance and vaccination, emergency response, education and teaching, and primary care are all aspects of primary care. By either transforming care through research and innovation or by advancing care through teaching and learning, this position supports the academic mandate of the Hospital. In order to provide a healthy environment for staff, physicians, volunteers, students, patients, and their families, this position contributes to the shared responsibility of ensuring that health and safety policies are followed.
Great Registered Nurses are:
• Organized – they embrace the challenge of prioritizing patient care demands in a fast paced environment, and are eager to engage with new challenges every single day
• Great Communicators – they communicate effectively with colleagues, staff, volunteers and families
• Decisive – at the end of the day, they have the ability to make the big decisions, to take ownership of their actions, and use their critical thinking and problem solving skills in the best interests of the patient
• Safety Conscious – they know that keeping everyone safe and healthy is the highest priority, and follow all H&S policies and guidelines
• Committed – they embrace our learning culture and demonstrate ongoing commitment to professional development to enhance their knowledge and skills.
On a practical level, you will
• Demonstrate the ability to function to the full scope of nursing practice per the College of Nurse of Ontario
• Communicate effectively (written and verbal) with patients/clients, families and other members of the health care team
• Think critically, set priorities and organize work in response to client/patient needs
• Demonstrate knowledge of transfers and lifts
• Be committed to ongoing learning, professional development, and continuous quality improvement
• Have proficient skill level with computers, MS Word, Internet searches, data entry and patient information systems
• Assume a leadership/charge role with demonstrated evidence of self- motivation regarding continuing education in areas of patient assessment, patient education and related Clinical Specialties
• Have excellent assessment skills with clinical knowledge of care of the geriatric population
• Have effective organizational, problem-solving, prioritization, time-management and teaching skills
• Have excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to foster good public relations and working relationships in a family centered care environment
• Demonstrate your ability to perform appropriately in emergency situations
• Diploma in Nursing, Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing
• Registered and in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
• Diploma or certification in Occupational Health & Safety and/or COHN (C) designation or equivalent
• Current Basic Cardiac Life Support certification (BCLS)
• Minimum 2 years of recent Occupational Health experience in acute health care facility
• Knowledge of Occupational Health principles and applicable legislation (OHSA, WSIA, Human Rights, Privacy)
• Knowledge and application of current Communicable Disease Surveillance Protocols for Ontario Hospitals., preferred
• Experience with disability claims management, application of successful rehab principles, and management of transitional work programs, preferred
• Working experience with Occupational Health Computer System, (e.g., Parklane), preferred
• Bilingualism in French/English an asset
What We Offer
Working at NYGH means working with a dynamic team of fellow healthcare providers, staff, and volunteers in one of Canada’s leading hospitals. This is a Part Time Casual position with 8 hour shifts, Days including weekends in the Occupational Health Department. We offer a highly competitive total compensation package which includes pay in lieu of benefits, vacation pay and the opportunity to join the Hospital Pension Plan. FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY: As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination to the Hospital’s Occupational Health and Safety department.
How To Apply
Think you’re the right person for the job? Here’s your first chance to show us why:
• Ensure to meet the deadline – only applications received by the closing date will be considered.
• We will review all applications and will contact those selected for an interview.
At North York General, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. North York General is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs
Leave a Reply